Monday, February 18, 2008

If It's a Hero You Want, I Can Save You

I have the irrational tendency to name inanimate objects, then refer to them by using "he" or "she" rather than "it." I'm sure that it stems from watching Toy Story when I was little, and not wanting to take any chances at finding out that all of my stuff was coming alive when I wasn't in the room and planning a mutiny because I never named them properly.

I'm not crazy, just imaginitive. Hence, writer.

At any rate, I named my laptop Billy. I don't know why, but his name is Billy right down to the name at the bottom of the screen with all of the user icons on XP, that says "Turn Off ___." And normal people write "Family Computer" or "My PC" or something to that effect. But I put Billy. And so Billy he is.

Billy was always defiant, right from the get-go. I bought him four years ago from BJ's Wholesale Club, with a coupon, and within a few months, I couldn't even turn him on without him freaking out and going to some horrible blue screen within 10 minutes of being on, before finally shutting himself down.

The support center had no idea what was going on, and we had to send him back to the company. Within a week, he was back home, and just about everything from the motherboard to the hard-drive had been replaced. Basically, it was a brand new computer in the old case.

Billy has been fine since then, up until recently when he's been acting down-right pokey, and freezing in places that he never did before, and refusing to coorperate with the printer. It could just be that he's four years old and outdated, but I think it's because he knows that I'm going to college soon, and will need a new Billy that is lighter and smaller and better-behaved. Shelly and Pharmacy Pete want to get it soon, in case there's another Episode, we'll know about it in time to fix it before I have to leave for Dream School.

Oh, I forgot to tell you...

I decided on going to Dream School. I'm just going to be poor forever. It's worth it.

And Boyfriend's being so nice and supportive about it. We're only going to be about 40 miles apart, which with public transportation, is, like, 10-15 minutes. No biggie.

Annnnd.....

I got onto Ravelry! Yeah! It's so very overwhelming, but everything I thought it would be.

And also......

I figured out how to whip-stitch live stitches and attach a new ball of yarn in the middle of a row without having to ask my LYS lady! I was so crazy proud of myself it was ridiculous. I just sat down with some Red Heart that I had lying around that my grandmother on Shelly's side had given me (or, as I like to call her, Big G. Janice. She's not that big, but Average-sized G. Janice doesn't have the same ring to it), and I just figured it out! Granted, my hem isn't that pretty, but it's on the inside, so it doesn't matter.

And knowing how to attach a new ball of yarn means that I also figured out how to do fair-isle! I own!

Song of the Day:
"I'm trying real hard not to shake. I'm biting my tongue, but I'm feeling alive and with every breathe that I take, I feel like I've won. You're my key to survival. And if it's a hero you want, I can save you. Just stay here." - Secondhand Serenade, "Awake"

1 comment:

Sisterly Knits said...

You've been TAGGED!

Go to sisterlyknits.blogspot.com for more information!