Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Heart of a Woman Can Never Be Found in the Arms of a Man

So, today was a pretty exciting day all around.

To start with, Knitty put out their bonus patterns, none of which I really like, but it's exciting just the same. Just like every month, I head on over to MagKnits, even though I know that I'm probably not going to like any of the patterns. It's just fun to see what's new, on the off chance that something might spark my interest.

In other news, I started my Summertime Tunic.


Turns out, blocking the swatch made my gauge 23 stitches, which is better than 24, but still not 22. But I so don't feel like doing another swatch, so I'm using a bigger needle. If it doesn't work I'll just frog it and cry for a few hours.

That's the brilliance of the Boye circular needle set Boyfriend gave me for my birthday a few months ago. Oh no, that needle size doesn't work! That's okay, I'll just screw on another size and try again. It saves so much money on needles, especially where gauge is concerned. Plus, this pattern calls for me to change needle sizes in the middle of it, but I just have to screw on a new one, instead of trying to balance two circulars. Yeah Boyfriend!

But the biggest news of today is that a very famous director is going to film a movie with very famous actors right here in this very city. I can't tell you who the director is, or who the actors are, or what the movie is called, because Pharmacy Pete and Shelly are skeptical of me having this blog anyway, so that will be a mystery.

The movie takes place in a mental institution. Oh, and with flashbacks to WWII concentration camps. So, naturally, the director thought my town would be the perfect location to stage these horrific scenes.

Yup. Yeah for my city. I can't wait for college, when I will go to the real city, where they, on occasion, film movies that are not about death and torture and pain.

The mayor is especially excited, telling the local paper that this will put our city on the map (which, my friend so graciously pointed out, is already on the map), and that this is something to admire, as the actors involved are at the "top of their field."

And they need 600 local extras. Judging by the persistant buzzing at my school today, most everyone is making the 40 mile trek into the real city to audition. Well, except for the girls who have highlights in their hair. There were no highlights in WWII. It's a sad, sad day for all the bleach blondes.

The newspaper said that they are looking for people who looked emaciated. Just where do they think they are going to find 600 emaciated individuals? This is America. Aren't we notoriously fat?

At any rate, this is the most exciting thing to happen here since the next town over got an IHOP.

Anyway...

Juno was nominated for 4 Oscars! All I can say is that it better win all of them. Also, the soundtrack is the number 3 album in the country. Which it should be, because it totally owns!

Say Anything has always been my favorite movie, but, I must say, as much as I love me some Lloyd Dobler, Diane Court doesn't do much for me. I think she's a weak heroine who just needs a slap in her whiny face because she definitely doesn't deserve Lloyd. In Juno, I love Bleeker almost as much as I love Lloyd, and Juno is totally boss, so she beats Diane by a landslide. Now I don't know what my favorite movie of all time is.

Then again, Say Anything has Peter Gabriel. Juno does not. Hmm...

Song of the Day:

"Things will happen for reasons that she will never understand until she learns that the heart of a woman can never be found in the arms of a man." -Vanessa Carlton, "Rinse"

No comments: