Thursday, January 10, 2008

You Know You're Already My Obsession

So I woke up today and my shoulders were killing me, and heck if I knew why. It felt like I'd been doing some serious crazy push-ups, which I assure I was not.

I told Shelly, and she said, "Well didn't you go ice skating in gym yesterday?"

And it's true I did go ice skating in gym yesterday. Sort of.

The city skating rink (just one of many three things to do here) is right behind the high school, so we all signed our little permission slips, and made the tredge over during gym class.

Turns out, though, I can't skate. And I don't know why I'm surprised that I can't skate. Granted, I took a few years of skating lessons, but that was a long time ago, and I spent most of those lessons crying about how I didn't want to do it. Plus I had a very mean teacher who yelled a lot, despite the fact that I had assumed right off the bat that she must be nice because she had the same first name as my grandma on Pharmacy Pete's side.

Last year, I went ice skating with Boyfriend and his family on an outdoor skating pond (not located in our silly little city, but a couple dozen miles north in a not so silly city). I spent of the time on my butt, before I finally told Boyfriend to go skate with his brother, and I would go sit with his mom. But what I learned was that, without Boyfriend holding onto my hand, I couldn't even stand up at all, nevermind avoid falling in my feeble attempts to remove myself from the ice. Plus, what I didn't know was that skating traffic only goes in one direction when I started going the opposite way because I had just passed the exit, so I was skating against an extremely large group of people, as this was a crowded day for this particular skating pond.

Then I accidently grabbed on to some random woman so that I wouldn't fall. Lucky for me, and for her, she knew what she was doing, and didn't mind that I had completely just grabbed onto her arm like I'd known her for years. To this day, she is still one of my heroes, next to Jesus and Pat Benatar and Eric Clapton of course, for being so nice to me, when she easily could have shaken me off and humilated me beyond how I had already humiliated myself.

So, long story short, I spent the whole gym class pulling myself around the rink with the railing on the side. Which is why me shoulders hurt. Which seems unfair when I stop to consider that there was this girl in my class who kept saying "This is my first time ice skating ever!" while all the while she was skating laps around me, and didn't fall once.

I didn't fall either, though, which is an improvement. And by the end, I could even take one hand off of the rail. My gym teacher was not nearly as impressed by this as I was.

Song of the day:
"You know you're already my obsession. Stop using sex as a weapon." -Pat Benatar, "Sex as a Weapon"

1 comment:

Happily Knit said...

Hah. I saw Pat Benetar in concert a summer ago! Man, shes still got it. That concert was fantastic!