Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I'm Pushing an Elephant Up the Stairs

Seeing as this blog is one-fourth knitting, I think I should brief you on my knitting endeavors.

On my 13th or 14th birthday, my grandparents (on Pharmacy Pete's side) gave me a teach-youself-to-knit kit. With a little help from Shelly and my grandma on her side of the family, I learned the basic cast on, knit, purl, and bind off. I then proceeded to lose all interest in the craft until a few months ago, which, for the record, was years later.

And here is what I've done so far...





(Turn your head to see this picture please. Or, don't, I guess. It's not that great of a picture.)

This is the Alexi scarf from Berroco. I made it with Caron Simply Soft, which is only acrylic, but I love it with all of my heart because it is so soft, and so pretty, and so in my inflating-balloons-for-a-career budget. I don't have a LYS, mostly because getting to the one closest to me would require driving on the highway, which I'm not about to do. So, I rely heavily on Michael's and A.C. Moore, especially when they put 40% off coupons in the paper.


Don't judge.


Between my knitting and my coupons, I could swear I'm an 80 year old trapped in a high schooler's body. Which, when you think about it, is a little gross, but if I was 80, that's just the kind of situation I would like to be in.


Anyway, upon seeing my lovely, soft, pink scarf, Shelly went out to A.C. Moore and picked up some more Simply Soft for this lovely gem....


This is the Ticuna scarf from Berroco.

Shelly doesn't want her face to appear in this blog. It's not like it's gross and disfigured or anything, she just hates pictures.

And then I was bored with scarves. I saw a girl come into my balloon-filled workplace wearing the cutest hat, that I loved very much. I didn't get to ask her where she got it from, though, as she was not super friendly (how can you not be happy in a party store? Where I am working and therefore providing you with astounding customer service????). I couldn't find it in any of the stupid stores in the stupid mall of this stupid city, so I found a pattern for the closest thing I could find, which I might love even more than the original.

LE SLOUCH!!!!



Boyfriend's sister liked it so much that I made her one too, only in cream. It's just Lion's Brand Wool, and it takes less than a skein and about two days plus blocking time to make it.

Note the random lines of stockinette running through what is supposed to be seed stitch. But, in all fairness, it was my first time knitting on a round, and I wasn't even using dp's like I was supposed to. Boyfriend gave me the Boye set of circular needles that has every size imaginable for my birthday, and I didn't want to go out and spend the money on something I already had that would do the job exactly the same way. However, that resulted in the holes in the top that had to be sewn up after blocking. Good job Susan. Top notch.

Boyfriend's really good at gifts like that. For instance, this Christmas? Panini maker.


And also, that stud-muffin of a teddy bear is my buddy Marshmallow. As he is a boy bear, he doesn't appreciate me using him as a model for my girl hat. He agreed, however, because he wants to spread the word that he is very upset that his polar bear relatives are dying because the polar ice caps are melting. His relatives have no where to sit and stop swimming, so they drown. On that note, please recycle and stop buying big boats of cars. Marshmallow will thank you for it.


Next up is a hat for my grandfather, a scarf for my BFF's birthday, a scarf for my grandmother, a hat for my other grandmother, maybe that cute new clutch from Knitty, yadda yadda yadda...


And maybe I should think about improving my photography skills. But, at this point, I really do not need another interest. A girl can only have so many before she begins to neglect her prior commitments like, oh you know, school... Boyfriend... sleeping. Nothing too important though.

Song of the day:
"I'm pushing an elephant up the stairs. I'm tossing up punchlines that were never there. Over my shoulder a piano falls, crashing to the ground." -R.E.M., "The Great Beyond"

No comments: