Thursday, January 17, 2008

Morning Walks and Bedroom Talks

When I applied to college this fall, I applied to four schools: Dream School, two schools that I didn't like as much as Dream School but will go to if I have to, and one school that I only applied to because it is 20 minutes from my house and I felt like I wasn't applying to enough schools. I got into Dream School and one of my second choices a while ago, and today I just heard from the other second choice.

I got in... and their going to give me an annual $16,000 scholarship to go there. Which is great, except that I'd rather go to Dream School, who hasn't given me anything.


Dream School has such a better writing program than Second Choice does. If I go there, I know that I'll have a better shot at getting a job in a publishing company and then eventually publishing a book. But I'll have to take out thousands and thousands of dollars worth of loans just to pay for it, when I can take out less and go to Second Choice.

I don't know what to do. It seems crazy to want to pay so much more money than I have to, but at the same time, I've always wanted to go to Dream School.

Grrrr.

I'll never be able to afford yarn again. Even Simply Soft with a coupon, as is my style.

Speaking of which, in recent knitting endeavors, I have come to realize how tedious stockinette is. I started knitting a scarf for BFF's birthday not that long ago, and I did it all in stockinette so that I could make sure it would be done for her birthday, which is only in a few weeks. And that's super and everything, and it's going quickly, but it's so boring. Really. I am a cable girl, and without any cables, I am just bored.

It is pretty though. Dull as it is, there's something to be said for the purity of stockinette.

And can I just say, that these pictures were not easy to procure? My sweet little purple Kodak was being so moody and tempermental. I don't know what has gotten into her.

And also the scarf is so very rolly. Can you even block acrylic?

Hmm... I just did the math, and realized that over 4 years, I will save $64,000 by going to Second Choice. That's a lot of yarn. And a car. And a wedding.

Or think of all the puppies I could get with that kind of money. Lots!

Song of the Day:
"But we sure had a good time when we started way back when. Morning walks and bedroom talks were how I loved you then." -Jim Croce, "Photographs and Memories"

1 comment:

Nik said...

Good Luck with your decision. that sounds like a difficult one to make.